Saturday, August 21, 2010

love.care.empathy

this few days really meant a lot to me
during my journey of pursuing my dream
:)

i went to clerk my first ever patient
because its my turn to do case presentation to doctor and my group members in tomorrow's PBL session...

senior told us this when he was briefing us regarding History Taking and Physical Examination:
"although the patient that you clerked may considered as a case to you,but DO NOT EVER treat them as a subject,treat them as a multi-emotional human being,do not cause unnecessary pain to them and most importantly,appreciate their cooperation..."

well he was definitely right but i wonder how many of us could actually apply this in real situation?...

and so with senior's advices and lots of studying from books and lecture notes... i wore my white coat, brought my stethoscope,pen torch and my clerking board...i entered the hospital with a malay girl coursemate so that she can help me by translating those "kelate" words and be my chaperone...when we reach the ward we started to look for patients with respiratory diseases and after much picking,we approached a very old Malay man,he was unable to talk clearly and so i did history taking by asking his daughter-in-law...it turns out that the poor,old man actually been admitted to the hospital for more than 2 weeks time and he kept on telling me that he just wanna go home,so i consoled him,asked him to rest well...due to his ill condition that time,i just couldn't bear to perform Physical Examination on him and so i only returned to him on the next day to do PE,and it was yesterday...his condition has improved so much when i met him yesterday,and after asking permission from his son,quite surprisingly,they actually allow me to do PE without much asking!

well,it was my first time performing PE myself on a real patient of mine,so i was undeniably nervous,but after talking a few words with the old man,touching him while consoling him,feeling his warm,fragile body heaving up and down slowly beneath my touching,and he expressed gratitude to me for caring him,i could feel the confidence building inside me,this is the magic of the bonding i think=)

i'll only give myself 40% for my first clerking...but the experience and things i earned from it,it would be definitely 100%...i just hope that i didn't cause any unnecessary pain or discomfort to the old man...its really hard for me to convey to you guys how i felt at that moment when i was clerking...when i touched him and looked at his face,i totally forgot about the difference of skin colors between us,we are all the same,as fragile as ever...and when i saw him experiencing shortness of breath and trying to gulp in as many air as he could,i just feel like i could give up anything just to make him feel better,i can feel my love and care towards him,although i only got to know him for 1 day...this feeling was so magical...and when i was finish,i just wish that i could stay longer with him until he actually gets better...but,returning back to reality,i knew i should leave and let him rests...

this is the magical experience of mine...
the magical feeling...
the magical bonding...

this is what keeps me motivated

4 comments:

  1. Nice post vivian! all the best to you dear =D spread ur love ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. vivian !!! linked u d..=p
    a really meaningful post that u have here...
    keep it up !!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the link=)

    and nice to know you at the PPB's weekly activity,hope you'll enjoy the not-so-perfect life in USMkk...

    that's the imperfect part that makes our life perfect:)

    ReplyDelete