Monday, March 12, 2012

living under the social stigma

HI WORLD
somehow i just had a sudden inspiration to blog about the most common emotional conflict among teenage girls...

guess what?
BINGO
that is: body image

Lets start off by telling you a bit of my own childhood and teenage experience...

Since primary school, I had never been an attractive girl. I was fat, with round tummy, wore HarryPotter-rounded-specs, yea, basically all you can see from me is R.O.U.N.D., almost like Winnie the Pooh i guess. My parents even told me that other relatives used to sympathize me because of my, well, honestly saying, ugliness. And that continues up to my secondary school, although I've lost some weight due to hectic activities and tuitions, but yet I was still viewed by others as "fei po". Along those years, I was being made jokes at, being laughed and criticized but I never try to bother that too much. Because my secondary school was an unisex, my girlfriends won't boycott me because of my size, I was utmost grateful for that:)

However, I started to see reality when i entered matriculation, the time when I started to mingle more with the opposite sex. I figured out a simple rule: you can get whatever you want as long as you're sexy, slim, pretty and attractive. I was frustrated. But luckily I met a bunch of true friends, whom to them, nothing beats the true friendship:) Ever since I entered matriculation, I've dropped kilos without even being on diet, mainly because it was my first experience of studying away from home and all those culture shocks that shaken some of my weights off.

Then, happily, confidently and enthusiastically, I entered my medical school, USMkk. A place where pretty girls got all the attention and hi's whilst those average-looking girls don't even deserve a bye's...Well, maybe I was being a lil bit exaggerated but this is sadly, the truth. Perhaps this has been ALWAYS the truth of reality, its just that I was trying to ignore it throughout my life. Although I never overheard people commenting about my appearance, but I did heard some really harsh comments coming out from the mouth of some guys that I knew, and who knows whether I was also the poor victim when they were chatting with others? 

Nevertheless, I've been living among this USMkk community for 3 years. From 64kg during my childhood, Im now weighing 50kg, and Im not ashamed at all. The main reason for my weight loss is mostly due to healthy diet and exercise. And I have been maintaining this weight without losing more because Im practising a healthy lifestyle. I feel healthy and happy with my body shape, although Im not as slim as those magazine models. I snacked on cookies occasionally and treat myself some ice-cream when Im feeling happy. I eat chocolate when I craved for it.

The issue here is, guys out there, yes, YOU!!! You guys tend to assume every girls should weigh less than 50kg. You laughed and made jokes of them when you get to know how much that girl weighed. C'mon, should girls also assume that every guys have six perfectly trained abs? Stop judging how a girl looks or what size she wears, will you? We girls never discussed about your protruding tummy or your non-muscular thin biceps because we can see you more than that, we prefer to judge a guy from the inside. No offense here, but yea, i think guys are practically blind, as they only choose to see pretty face on the surface, ignoring the kind heart deep within...



nah guys...
your dream girl, definitely weigh less than 50kg


GIRLS!!!
STOP being obsessive with your body weight or size or shape...
you deserve an enjoyable & happy life
not living over guilt because of the fear of eating one piece of cookie


love yourself
love your body
they are given out of love by your parents
don't abuse them
treat them well



this post is inspired by my girlfriends all around me...

life is short
so practice a healthy lifestyle

slim body?
NAH~you'll lose them right after menopause

kind-heartedness and smiles are girls' best make-ups
and they're permanent


the true beauty comes from deep within

7 comments:

  1. Vivian, you are definitely one of the prettiest girl I've met in my life because you are so well embellished with the greatest-among-all internal beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivian, I couldn`t agree anymore with your words^^ You are always the cheerful, cute pretty gal I met in KMPh..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks friends, Im blushing already =^^=

    Just hope that I won't disappoint you as you know me more, because nobody is perfect, well, not me...just trying my best to be a good person:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. From a guy's point of view (well not exactly, maybe just from my point of view)... honestly... I definitely, completely, 101% agree with what you just wrote up there. Guys seriously need to learn to see beyond looks. And they will, forever have to learn it the hard way. External appearances, are just skin deep...and that is as far as it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vivian, those pictures of the model are shocking! However, I know girls/women who would look at the pictures and think, 'I wished I looked like that'. Appalling, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. >Anonymous
    Im happy to know that there are actually guys that support my point of view=)...Nevermind if it takes time to learn, temptations are hard to fight I know...Guys,good luck for that^^


    >Jane
    Hi!First and foremost,Im one great fan of your blog,thanks for all those recipes sharing=)...Yup definitely there will be some girls out there who still wished to look anorexic-ally thin...That's why Im raising this issue here, trying to raise some awareness and remind girls out there, that this is definitely harmful to your health, and please, cherish your life, love yourself, eat healthily and be physically active. Because the true beauty that stands the challenge of time comes from deep within, not your body shape!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vivian, i am so shocked when u said this...OMG...cant believe this...
    by the way, i am FAT too! haha!!
    i was always being commented by my friends and family members too...
    but til now i did not slim yet pun..haha~
    anyway, good luck in coming exam!
    let fight together!~

    from tHt.

    ReplyDelete