Wednesday, December 5, 2012

ABC Soup with barley and salmon

Well, I've been urged by someone to post my recipes along with my cookings.

Firstly, I didn't dare to do so because Im just a newbie in the kitchen and don't think that Im qualified to do online recipe sharing. Secondly, most people won't believe me that some of the food I cooked really did not taste as good as it looked in the picture I posted here, credited to the advancement of photo-editing technology.

But now I've decided to share some of my cooking experience with my dear friends! Not because Im already confident enough in cooking, it's just the thought of sharing my interest in cooking. I promise that I'll only post those recipes which I think is edible, but due to difference in individual preferences, I hereby declare that Im not responsible of anything in case you cook something inedible following my recipes ya=P

So, my rule in the kitchen is that there's no rule! I follow online recipe blogs, use their recipes but I ALWAYS cut down on this and that, while adding a bit of this and that. I just love experimenting by changing the recipes and see how they'll turn out to be. So, please forgive for my over-creativenessXD

Here comes my first recipe:

ABC Soup with a twist of Barley and Salmon

  1. Prepare your ingredients: 1 carrot, 2 red onions, 1 big potato, 1 big tomato, a handful of dried scallops, some cracked black pepper corns, about 1/4 cup of pearl barley and a slice of salmon. 
  2. Chop the veges into small chunks.
  3. Just dump all ingredients except the salmon into your cooking pot(my only possession is a rice cooker), pour in 2 big bowls of water, then cook in low fire(I used the porridge cooking mode in my rice cooker) till all the veges and barley become soft.
  4. Next, add in the piece of salmon and cook in higher temperature for about half an hour. Add in a pinch of salt acc to your preference.
  5. You can enjoy your soup once the salmon is fully cooked.
Ps1: The longer time you let your soup simmer in low fire, the sweeter your soup will turn out! Salmon really gives a very sweet favour to the soup. I was initially worried that the soup might taste too "fishy", that's why I added more black pepper corns.

Ps2: I've never seen people cook soup with pearl barley before, especially in this kinda savoury soup. But because I didn't cook rice so I just thought of adding some barley just to fill up my stomach. Guess what, I really love the chewy texture of the barley and they somehow made the soup a lil bit thicker. And no worry, your soup won't taste like barley=P

Ps3: Salmon is really your brain food! It provides you with a very good source of Omega 3. The oil on the surface actually comes from the salmon itself and its good for your brain=)

2 comments:

  1. Love your recipe, buddy!
    Keep it up! I can see a potential food recipe blog coming up here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha!Im very very shy to share my recipe actually,really!Blogging is just one of the relaxing activity that i enjoy doing during my free time...Hopefully my cooking skills can improve more and more la...hehe!But its always glad to have supports from friends like you!!!

    thanks:)

    ReplyDelete